Don’t Get Demolished: Top 10 Tips to Hiring a General Contractor
Are you one of nearly 40% of Americans whose home is more than 50-years-old? Then you might be joining the home improvement market totaling $376.9 billion and 148.5 million projects. Whether your remodeling needs are large or small, protect yourself from preventable missteps that could cost you far more than your home construction project with these Top 10 tips.
1. Hire only state-licensed contractors
2. Check a contractor’s license number at cslb.ca.gov or calling 800.321.2752
3. Check with your homeowner's insurance concerning your coverage for remodeling
4. Ensure that all project parameters are detailed in writing
5. Sign the contract only if you understand its terms and conditions in writing
6. Confirm that the contractor has workers’ compensation insurance
7. Avoid paying more than 10% down or $1,000, whichever is less, and do not pay in cash
8. Avoid paying in advance of work completed
9. Maintain a job file, including payment records
10. Do not make a final payment until completely satisfied with the job
Kitchen & Bath Design Group is a licensed contractor specializing in kitchen, bath and whole house remodeling throughout the Coachella Valley. Look for additional posts that inform consumers on tips, trends and more to make your next remodeling project a success.